Welcome to Lobster Cove

Welcome to Lobster Cove - Carol Lynne Lobster Cove is the opposite of what I’ve come to expect from small towns in gay romance. Far from close-minded, this is a small town that is actually being built on acceptance, particularly for the LGBT community, but also extending outward as we find when Boone moves to town with his brother Laddy, who has Downs syndrome. I haven’t read Carol Lynne’s Cattle Valley books, of which this is a spin off, and although there are a couple of references to characters there, I didn’t feel as if I was missing anything.

Since the town is just starting a lot of new people have moved there, including Dante, who has left his popular NYC restaurant after being betrayed by a business partner, and is looking forward to starting fresh and building a new restaurant. Boone is the stone mason working for him and it is lust at first sight for the two men. They quickly act on their feelings after a party at Dante’s house and there is undeniable chemistry between the two men.

There is insta-love on Boone’s part and he nearly demands immediate commitment from Dante who, understandable is very slow to trust and not ready for anything serious, regardless of his feelings for Boone. I understood Boone’s logic that he cannot get involved with anyone who doesn’t accept that Laddy’s wellbeing will always be Boone’s priority, but I was with Dante, feeling that Boone pushed just a bit too hard for a first date with someone he knew very little about. The fact that Boone is living for his future, while Dante is being held back by his past, is one very large obstacle that puts a stop to things as quickly as they begin. Lobster Cove being what it is though, the two men can’t avoid each other, especially when the town needs to pull together to help when there is trouble.

In addition to the MC’s, I liked both Laddy and Ava, Dante’s straight foster sister who moves to town with him. I felt all the characters were realistically portrayed, but for my taste the relationship moved rather quickly. There are brief glimpses of a number of residents that span the LGBT spectrum and will likely make for interesting stories in the future as well. Overall I enjoyed this quick read and was intrigued by glimpses of what the future of the series may hold.

A copy of this book was provided by the publisher for an honest review.