A Casual Thing

A Casual Thing - Annabelle Jacobs Patrick is looking forward to housesitting for his older brother Ben while he is away for two weeks and then spending the summer with him before returning to university for his final years of studies. It’s all perfect until Patrick arrives and Ben drops the bomb that his friend Will, who Patrick has a not so secret, “huge unrequited and frankly, embarrassing crush on”, has broken up with his boyfriend and will be sharing the house with Patrick for the next two weeks until he can move into his new home. The two get along great, despite Patrick’s crush, but now that Will is single, Patrick sees a chance of something happening between them. Knowing about the crush, Will figures he’ll just set some boundaries and things will be just fine. That idea is great until he gets an accidental eyeful of a naked Patrick. One thing leads to another and Patrick offers a deal of a little casual, no strings attached sex for the next two weeks. What could possibly go wrong with that?

Both Will and Patrick go into the situation knowing it’s a bad idea, but for different reasons. Patrick knows there’s no way his feelings won’t be involved since he’s crushed so long and tends to get attached to men quickly. Will doesn’t generally do casual, but has no interest in pursuing any relationship, no less a long distance one when Patrick leaves. The one issue they both have is Ben, but he’s fine as long as they don’t hurt each other, have sex in his bed or make things weird for him. It’s almost immediately clear to both that feelings are definitely involved and the line between casual and “something more” is quickly blurred. Patrick is holding out hope that he can change Will’s mind over the short time they have alone together, but when he approaches Will about it things go bad fast.

This was my first book by Annabelle Jacobs and I enjoyed the dialogue, and the pace of the writing. I really fell for Patrick and his ability to awkwardly go for what he wants. Told in dual point of view, the majority of the story takes place in the apartment over a ten day period with just the two men, but I feel like I got to know Patrick a lot better than Will, who really doesn’t open up until the end.

Since the story revolves around casual sex, there are enough sex scenes to keep it in the forefront, but I didn’t think they overtook the story. I adored their first kiss and the rest of the scenes went from quick and dirty to tender and sweet. There are not many secondary characters, but Ben was an entertaining and supportive presence throughout the story along with Patrick’s co-worker and admirer, Christian.

Mostly a light read, it did manage to grab me and tug at my heart enough for me to be really angry at Will for his inability to communicate honestly with Patrick or think before he acts. There is a realistic, happy and hopeful ending, though some may see it as more HFN than HEA. I’ll be looking forward to reading more of Annabelle Jacobs’ contemporary stories in the future.

Release day review with excerpt posted at Sinfully ... Addicted to All Male Romance