Fated

Fated - Indra Vaughn 4.5 stars

This book wasn't on my radar and I wasn't really expecting to enjoy it as much as I did, so I have to seriously thank Leta Blake for the recommendation. This was a really good mystery with a paranormal twist I didn't expect. It read a bit like an episode of The X-Files or Fringe so that was definitely a plus for me.

Hart is a bit broken, a loner who is fighting off the advances of his young neighbor Isaac, who has recently returned from grad school just short of graduating. Hart, who is more than 10 years older, is convinced Isaac's long time crush is nothing more than that and he is trying to keep him firmly in the friend zone, but Isaac seems to slowly be wearing him down.

Hart finds himself returning to Brightly, the town he grew up in on the other side of the mountain from where he lives, after the death of his estranged father. If that isn't difficult enough, he is getting increasingly caught up in an investigation that has followed him over the mountain. As mysterious deaths continue to occur, with all the victims seemingly cured of their fatal illnesses shortly before being murdered, it appears his father may have had some sort of connection. Hart is paired up with Freddie, a Brightly detective who has her own problems in and out of the department, to investigate the most recent murder attempt. This brings Toby, an orthopedic surgeon, into Hart's sights. Toby is very clearly determined to get Hart into his bed, but he also may just be suspect in the most recent attack.

I don't want to give any more details on the plot as it would definitely take away from the story. There are lots of twists and turns in this one and the investigation kept me wondering just what was going on and who was responsible. I'll admit that there were times where Hart was unlikable and clueless, but he's a good person and I liked his character nonetheless. For me though, the bright spot in this whole story is Isaac. I completely fell in love with his character and I am now itching to get on to the next book to continue his story. Definitely recommended if you want a different, well written romance with a good mystery that isn't just an after thought.