Kick at the Darkness

Kick at the Darkness - Keira Andrews There is so much I enjoyed about this book, I’m not sure where to start. I will say that you should not be put off if you think you would not “read zombies”. Like I tell my husband when I try to convince him to watch Walking Dead with me, it’s not about the zombies, it’s about the people and Keira Andrews has created two completely lovable MC’s in the very opposite Adam and Parker.

Parker is the entitled prep school graduate whose first year at Stanford isn’t starting out so well and Adam is the TA that won’t cut him a break in what was going to be Parker’s blow off class. After the two have a less than stellar introduction, the world descends into madness and the two men need to rely on each other to survive. If Parker is worried that Adam may not stay with him once he knows he is gay, Parker is in for an even bigger surprise when he finds out what Adam is hiding.

As the two men set off on a cross country motorcycle trip to find Parker’s family their true personalities quickly come out and they form a fast bond. Parker is panicky, insecure, caring and funny, while Adam is quieter, guarded and protective, seeming to take in everything around them. Along the way they encounter other survivors, both good and bad, as well as the “creepers” who are not the shuffling, undead zombies I was expecting.

It was fast paced, with plenty of action, tension and humor. I loved the way the characters opened up to each other and grew over the course of the story. When Parker and Adam do get together they are sweet and hot and it unleashes an unexpected side of Parker – a filthy, dirty side that nearly melted my Kindle!

The story managed to surprise me a couple times when I thought I knew just what would happen. For me the ending was perfect. Bittersweet, hopeful, satisfying, but with plenty of room for more in the future. I’d be there in a heartbeat for a sequel.

ARC provided by the author via IndiGo Marketing in exchange for an honest review.