Building Forever

Building Forever - Kaje Harper Review to come at Sinfully.

[b:The Rebuilding Year|13244400|The Rebuilding Year (The Rebuilding Year, #1)|Kaje Harper|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1326139255s/13244400.jpg|18444724] is still one of my favorite books and I manage a re-read at least once a year, so you can imagine I jumped for joy when I saw this little surprise coming out. It was so nice being back with John and Ryan again. It’s been four years since the end of Life, Some Assembly Required, when they decided to wait until it was legal to get married. Ryan is now in his first year of a four year residency that has required him to move to Minneapolis. John is still back in Wisconsin working at the college. Their separation isn’t ideal, but they do manage visits. Still, not having your partner there in the flesh when you need them isn’t easy, especially when work is life or death or family needs arise. Having a wedding and honeymoon to look forward to makes life better, but it seems nothing comes easily for these two (other than loving each other).

The story isn’t just about a wedding. It’s about dealing with everyday life and its challenges, something that has been a theme in the series and that Kaje Harper writes very well. It pains them both to be separated and with Mark in college and Torey almost there, the possibility of John picking up and moving is there, but he wonders if it’s the right thing to do. Ryan is working crazy hours, running with little sleep for days at a time and often wondering how long John will put up with it.

The heart of these stories is the rock-solid relationship Ryan and John have built and this one focuses squarely on the two men without so much outside drama as the last book (aka no Cynthia). They communicate well and support each other unconditionally. As much as they love their children, they are not afraid to put themselves first sometimes in order to keep themselves together, so we get to see them spending much needed alone time together and just because they’ve been together for years, doesn’t make it any less sexy.

Even the best relationships have some bumps and a long distance one has some special ones. Of course there had to be a little bit of trouble here. Let’s just say the wedding day doesn’t come off without a hitch or two, but there is never a question that these two would move heaven and earth to be together.

This is definitely written for fans of the series and I would say you need to have read the previous books first. If the last book left you wondering what would happen with all the future plans, and wanting to see John and Ryan finally get their wish of making it to the altar to become legally wed, you’re going to want to read this coda.

description