Michael, Reinvented (Delta Restorations Book 2)

Michael, Reinvented (Delta Restorations Book 2) - Diana Copland Review originally posted at Sinfully.

3.5 stars

After being utterly charmed by David and Jackson in the first book, [b:David, Renewed|31573244|David, Renewed (Delta Restorations, #1)|Diana Copland|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1471842754s/31573244.jpg|52263185], I was very happy to see there would be more to come. This story focuses on David’s assistant, Michael, and Jackson’s friend and co-worker Gil. Although there was some minor flirtation between the two in that first book, their story can be read as a standalone.

Michael is a snarky character, using barbs to deflect and stop most people from getting too close and it’s his eyes we get the story through. He knows he has feelings for Gil even as he fights them, but he also knows one night won’t be enough with the sweet, mountain of a man and he’s not going back into a relationship with anyone after being badly burned in the past, no matter how safe the man makes him feel.

Gil sees through Michael and is persistent, perhaps due to Michael’s very mixed signals, in showing he cares and that he wouldn’t hurt him. He has a protective nature and with Michael being threatened, has vowed to keep him safe. You could almost see him chipping away at Michael’s cool exterior with every interaction.

With Gil and all his charms continually flirting with Michael and calling him “baby”, and Michael finding out in a very sweet, tears in your eyes scene, that there may be a lot more to Gil than he thought, Michael can only hold out so long. I did love their first kiss which is always a plus in my book, but when push comes to shove Gil agrees that he won’t push for anything Michael can’t give him, but there is a serious threat to Michael’s safety and he won’t stop being there to protect him. Michael isn’t the only one in danger though and when he realizes that Gil may not always be there, he also realizes just what he stands to lose.

As much in focus as the romance is the continuing storyline of the hate crimes being perpetrated against the men that started in David, Renewed, and ramps up here (the author gives information to jump in here easily if you haven’t read the first book). Gil is almost a bodyguard for Michael most of the time and I feel like I didn’t really get to know either of the men all that well until the very end. I did love it when Michael realized he didn’t know Gil at all as he tours Gil’s house, but as they do spend most of the story at arm’s length I missed some of the romance and charm of the first story. They definitely had a spark though, and their banter, along with that of the other members of their circle, was fun and spoke to the bond they all are building.

Speaking of their friends, Jackson and David are back and moving their relationship forward. These two are still completely sweet and I adored every moment they were on the page. Overall the story was well written and smoothly paced. I have a feeling things aren’t as over with their tormentor as the men would like it to be, but there is some resolution here. I’ll be looking forward to the next installment as Manny definitely needs someone worthy of him, whether will it will be the older, wise-cracking Vern or someone else, we’ll just have to wait and see.

description