Bending The Iron - Libby Drew 3.5 Stars

Michael is living a dead end existence in a small, dead end town. Working at the glass works, watching out for his hard drinking grandfather while shoving his dreams aside and hiding who he really is. Eric is the new employee at the railroad museum, hired to restore the massive model train exhibit. He is well traveled, passionate and optimistic, even though he has his own darkness in his past. When these two meet there is an electricity between them that very quickly becomes physical.

Libby Drew does a fantastic job of setting the tone of this book. From the descriptions of the town, Michael’s lack of confidence, and Eric’s hopefulness, the writing brought all of these feelings to life. The interactions between Michael and Eric were sweet, but the intensity of the relationship and Eric’s need to push Michael to change his direction in life felt rushed and a bit contrived. Perhaps it was due to the length of the story, but I felt like I was missing out on the emotional connection. Maybe a little more background on Eric may have helped it for me.

Overall the writing was very good and it was a nice read that could have used just a little more of a build-up in the relationship between the main characters.

A copy of this book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.