The Dark Tide (Adrien English Mystery, #5) - Josh Lanyon 4.5 stars

A nice ending to the series, The Dark Tide is really about Adrien coming to terms with what he wants in his future, and finding closure and dealing with his past. The mystery only serves to further this end.

Just weeks after DoaPK ends, Dark Tide picks up with Adrien recovering from his surgery and hospitalization. He has asked Jake to give him space and time to think, but that isn't easy with his family hovering as usual. After a break in at his bookstore he calls Jake in to the rescue. Follow that up with the discovery of a skeleton in the floorboards during the bookstore's renovation and Adrien is once again in the midst of a murder mystery. He hires PI Jake to look into it and once again, they are working as a team to uncover the identity of the skeleton and it's relation to the break ins at the store.

This book also brings back Adrien's ex-lover Mel, and his current lover Guy, as well as a few characters from book #3. Adrien is such an emotional mess as he tries to figure out what he wants out of all of these relationships. His fear of the future and inability to trust play a big part in his attempts to re-connect with the new and improved Jake, who I must say, finally redeems himself in his attempts to prove his feelings to Adrien.

“Why can't you say it?" I hardened my voice. "Because I'm telling you, you never have. I'd have remembered."
He stared at me with disbelief. [...]
"Love you? Of course I love you. Baby, I fucking worship you.”

Overall a nice ending that wraps up the series, just wish there was more.