An Immoveable Solitude

An Immoveable Solitude - S.A. McAuley This was such a beautifully written, moving book. It's hard to discuss without being spoilery, but if you have read the blurb you know the basics of the story. Kerry and Erik (aka Hash) have been a couple and business partners for several years before one night changes everything.

The story that follows deals with Erik still wondering where he went wrong, why Kerry did what he did and whether Erik can ever pull himself together and really live his life again. Three years later, Erik is working with Kerry's sister Kelle on a private yacht, when Kerry shows up again and everything he Erik thought he knew about the events preceding Kerry's running away and the three years following, changes. Erik has to look deep inside himself and wonder if forgiveness is in the cards, not just for Kerry, but for others around him that kept secrets as well.

I have to say that I did not like Kerry. In my opinion he acted selfishly and in a manner that was guaranteed to destroy Erik and hurt others in his wake, and he never quite redeemed himself in my eyes. Regardless of my dislike for Kerry, I loved this book. It was an emotional journey, with a beautiful setting. The writing was so descriptive and the book felt real. I cannot wait to read more of S.A. McAuley's books.