Wrestling Demons (Brandt and Donnelly Capers)

Wrestling Demons (Brandt and Donnelly Capers) - Xavier Mayne While not quite what I expected from the follow up to [b:Frat House Troopers|16159818|Frat House Troopers (Brandt and Donnelly Caper #1)|Xavier Mayne|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1353359396s/16159818.jpg|22000794], one of my favorite reads last year, I did end up enjoying this one.

Jonah and Casey, 18 year old HS seniors, are the main focus of this book and it wasn't long before I was completely taken in and brought to tears by the devotion and love between the two friends. Jonah's sudden, public outing of not just his sexuality, but his feelings for his best friend throw them both into dangerous territory in their ultra conservative, religious small town. In a town that seems to revolve around church and the wrestling team, a gay star wrestler is permission for all forms of bigotry and hatred to be let loose.

Brandt and Donnelly are investigating the hidden camera videos of Jonah that are being sent around the school and posted on an adult website, but also become personally involved in helping Johah navigate his feelings and the sudden hatred coming from his family and community. If you read the first book, you will have a better feeling for why both Brandt and Donnelly, would become so involved in what was going on. It was good to see that six months after the last book they are still happily together as partners on and off the force and are comfortable with who they are.

Luckily for Jonah and Casey they do have support from Casey's employer Malcom, Casey's very understanding and supportive mother, and the rest of their wrestling team. Even Nestor and Bryce are back helping out in their own special way.

Xavier Mayne's writing always combines humor and emotion in characters that are well fleshed out. I enjoy reading characters that are open to falling in love where they never expected to find it and even when it goes against everything they were raised to be. While I would have loved more private time with Brandt and Donnelly, the last scene between the men leaves me with hope for another story focused on the two.