The Perfect Place

The Perfect Place - Kol Anderson 4.5 stars

It's no secret that I am a fan of [a:Kol Anderson|7127330|Kol Anderson|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1383027203p2/7127330.jpg]. Where his books are usually dark and gritty, it turns out that is not all he does. Emotionally intense, with the undercurrent a noir movie, The Perfect Place is a love story with a Kol Anderson twist, of course.

Jax and Liam have grown up together, but had very different family lives. They have been best friends and each other's first loves, but even that isn't always enough to keep a couple together. The story follows their relationship between past and present as, for the first time in years, 32 year old Liam returns to their Virginia hometown for his father's funeral and runs into Jax, who he hasn't seen for six years. It appears the two have a lot of unfinished business and obviously still have very strong feelings for each other, but Liam is looking to quickly return to New York and his boyfriend Ryan. Over the course of a few days spent together Liam tries to resist falling back into the same old pattern of their relationship as things between the two begin their usual downward spiral.

Their story is heartbreaking as the flashbacks show them trying to make their relationship work. While it is clear they love each other, it is also clear that there is a lot more going on than meets the eye. Even knowing the author's propensity for shocking twists, and picking up on hints that there are things we are not fully aware of happening, I was still shocked by the final turn of events in the story and was once again left thinking about it long after I read the final page.

An ARC of this book was kindly provided by the author.